[infinispan-dev] Infinispan and change data capture

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Fri Dec 16 08:06:26 EST 2016

On 16 Dec 2016 12:39, "Tristan Tarrant" <ttarrant at redhat.com> wrote:

On 16/12/16 13:12, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

>>> Well, when the cache is shut down, don’t we have time to empty the
in-memory log?

>> Cache shutdown should not be deferred because there is a backlog of
>> events that haven't been forwarded to Debezium, so we would want to pick
>> up from where we were when we restart the cache.
>
> But you’re willing to wait for the Artemis journal finish writing? I
don’t quite see the difference.

I'm thinking about the case where Debezium is temporarily not able to
collect the changes.

+1 That's the crucial concern.

We can have Infinispan attempt to  transmit all updates to debezium on a
best effort base, but we can't guarantee to send them all. We can resume
the state replication stream as Randall suggested, providing in that case a
squashed view which might work great to replicate the same state.
Analysis of the stream of updates though shall not be able to rely on
seeing *all* events.
As Emmanuel seemed to agree previously,  for that use case one would need a
different product like Kafka.

What I'm getting at is that if we agree that this granularity of events
needs *just* to replicate state, then we can take advantage of that detail
in various areas of the implementation, providing significant performance
optimisation opportunities.

Sanne

Tristan
--