[infinispan-dev] Infinispan Cache Store Failure Detection and Recovery

Cosmin Stroe cstroe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 12:32:17 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

We're setting up an Infinispan deployment for a web application.  Our use
case includes a local Infinispan cache (running in the same JVM as the web
app) backed by a remote Infinispan cache (running in a separate JVM).

We have to investigate failure modes of said cache.  One of the scenarios
we have to handle is "What happens if the remote Infinispan cache goes
away?".  This could happen for various reasons, including if we restart the
remote Infinispan cache.  We would like to have some known state during
remote cache outages (which we hope would happen very infrequently).

My conversation with "ttarrant" on Freenode led us to believe that
Infinispan doesn't currently have any failure mode handling built in, and
that it's possible that we could make the Async Store decorator optionally
be able to "resist" store failures.  Not sure what other options we have.

The correct answer might also be, "Just have the cache return null if an
entry is not in the local cache and the remote cache is unresponsive, and
have the application gracefully handle the empty cache".  I'm not sure if
that option can be implemented with the current Infinispan code.

Any thoughts on this?
Cosmin.