[infinispan-dev] Kubernetes/OpenShift Rolling updates and configuration changes

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 11:12:06 EDT 2016

On 14/07/16 12:17, Sebastian Laskawiec wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I've been thinking about potential use of Kubernetes/OpenShift
> (OpenShift = Kubernetes + additional features) Rolling Update
> mechanism for updating configuration of Hot Rod servers. You might
> find some more information about the rolling updates here [1][2] but
> putting it simply, Kubernetes replaces nodes in the cluster one at a
> time. What's worth mentioning, Kubernetes ensures that the newly
> created replica is fully operational before taking down another one.
>
> There are two things that make me scratching my head...
>
> #1 - What type of configuration changes can we introduce using rolling
> updates?
>
> I'm pretty sure introducing a new cache definition won't do any harm.
> But what if we change a cache type from Distributed to Replicated? Do
> you have any idea which configuration changes are safe and which are
> not? Could come up with such list?
Very few changes are safe, but obviously this would need to be verified
on a per-attribute basis. All of the attributes which can be changed at
runtime (timeouts, eviction size) are safe.

> #2 - How to prevent loosing data during the rolling update process?
I believe you want to write losing :)
> In Kubernetes we have a mechanism called lifecycle hooks [3] (we can
> invoke a script during container startup/shutdown). The problem with
> shutdown script is that it's time constrained (if it won't end up
> within certain amount of time, Kubernetes will simply kill the
> container). Fortunately this time is configurable.
>
> The idea to prevent from loosing data would be to invoke (enquque and
> wait for finish) state transfer process triggered by the shutdown hook
> (with timeout set to maximum value). If for some reason this won't
> work (e.g. a user has so much data that migrating it this way would
> take ages), there is a backup plan - Infinispan Rolling Upgrades [4].
The thing that concerns me here is the amount of churn involved: the
safest bet for us is that the net topology doesn't change, i.e. you end
up with the exact number of nodes you started with and they are replaced
one by one in a way that the replacement assumes the identity of the
replaced (both as persistent uuid, owned segments and data in a
persistent store). Other types could be supported but they will
definitely have a level of risk.
Also we don't have any guarantees that a newer version will be able to
cluster with an older one...

Tristan