[infinispan-dev] Compatiibility 2.0 dump

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 10:03:12 EDT 2016

> On 22 Jun 2016, at 17:44, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I've spotted things like 'decorating cache' in the wiki page. I though
> that the core architecture in Infinispan, modifying the behavior
> according to configurations, is the interceptor stack. While we have
> some doubts about its performance, and there are limitations - e.g. the
> Flags don't allow to add custom parameters and we certainly don't want
> to add Flag.JSON and Flag.XML - I would consider decorating a Cache<K,
> V> vs. adding interceptors.
>
> I am thinking of adding the transcoder information to invocation context
> and only pass different ICF to the CacheImpl. Though, this requires new
> factory, new interceptor and a handful of specialized context classes
> (or a wrapper to the existing ones). Whoo, just decorating Cache sounds
> much simpler (and probably more performant). Or should we have forks in
> interceptor stack? (as an alternative to different wrappers).
>
> The idea of interceptors is that these are common for all operations, if
> we want to do things differently for different endpoints (incl.
> embedded), decorating probably is the answer.
>
> My 2c (or rather just random thoughts and whining)

Will and I had a good discussion on the problems that interceptors had with data conversion layers while at Summit/DevNation. I don't remember the details very well, that's what 3 weeks of holiday does to you ;), but Will will reply with some more details. From what I remember, doing conversion in interceptors made did not fully work with streams and custom filters.

Cheers,