[infinispan-dev] Health check use cases

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 03:50:28 EDT 2016

On 26/07/16 07:10, Sebastian Laskawiec wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> I'd like to ask you for help. I'm currently sketching a design for a
> REST health check endpoint for Infinispan and I'm trying to imagine
> possible use cases.
The health-check should be implemented as an MBean initially, with the
ability to expose it via alternative implementations later. The server
RESTful endpoint should be registered with the management interface via
a special handler.
A cache and cachemanager's health is determined by a combination of
parameters and we probably should allow for a user-pluggable checker. We
already expose a number of statuses already, although obviously this
would be an aggregate.

> Could you please give me a hand and tell me what functionalities are
> important for you? Would you like to be able to check status per-cache
> or maybe a red (not healthy), green (healthy), yellow (healthy,
> rebalance in progress) cluster status is sufficient? What kind of
> information do you expect to be there?
I wouldn't want this to be overly complex: a simple OK, KO should be
sufficient. Additional detail may be optionally present, but not a
requirement.

Tristan

--
Tristan Tarrant