[infinispan-dev] Persisted state

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 10:30:45 EDT 2016

On 07/29/2016 12:40 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> On 28/07/16 15:59, Radim Vansa wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in what situations is the state (ATM just version + cache topologies)
>> meant to be persisted? I guess it's necessary with non-shared cache
>> stores, but should it be persisted with shared one, too?
> The writing is handled by the global state manager. You need to enable
> global state first obviously.
> There are two types of state: per-cachemanager and per-cache. Also
> graceful stop is performed only when a cache is shutdown(), not stop()ed.

Okay, I see that this needs to be enabled manually through configuration
(which makes sense). I can't find any recommendation to users *when*
they should enable it and therefore, when can the developer expect it to
be set (and emit a warning/error when it is not set).

>> And what are the guarantees during writing that state down? (e.g. can
>> you make sure that no operations are executed when persisting?)
> That is not how it is being handled atm: rebalancing is disabled, caches
> are passivated, and the state is written before stopping the cache
> components. It's like this because I was thinking that the state that we
> are writing (CH and topology) wouldn't be affected by some additional
> operations, but it would make sense to put the cache in a STOPPING state
> first to avoid ops.

Ack, moving the cache to STOPPING state is what I had in mind. I wanted
to know whether it would be 'intended'.

> Tristan

Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com>
JBoss Performance Team