[infinispan-dev] Uber jars - how do we want to use them

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Mar 14 06:50:00 EDT 2016

Hi,
uber jars were introduced as an answer to complaints such as "there
are too many jars" but I still think this was the wrong answer.. too
many issues so please stop this: it's not helping usability to
understand which jars are needed, and it makes things worse with
runtime errors not matching source code.

It was my impression that uber jars were a temporary solution to
improve things, while the real improvements - to actually need less at
runtime, or provide better errors pointing out what's needed - would
take more time.

So rather than stubbornly spend time maintaining this approach which
is so obviously broken, I'd rather see time spent in pursuing the
better improvements so that we can finally drop this.

Sebastian: I din't understand the idea behind proposal 2#: what does
it meant to provide our own facade to JBoss Logging? One will still
need to have JBoss Logging at runtime, right?

Thanks,
Sanne