[infinispan-dev] Spring module - change dependencies to Uber Jars

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Nov 2 19:12:38 EDT 2016

On 1 February 2016 at 14:12, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org> wrote:
> The Uber Jars will always be more problematic than the "small ones" -
> as the testsuite doesn't cover them at the same level, if at all - so
> I don't think it would be wise to start having components to depend on
> them, especially as this looks like it might become viral: what about
> other component X that people will want to use with Spring?
>
> Also when you're deploying on WildFly you probably want to use the
> Logger from the application server as it's the one being managed. So
> the solution would be wither never use Uber Jars when deploying on the
> container, or remove JBoss Logger from the Uber Jars.
>
> Shall I state once more that the whole Uber Jars affair seems a really
> bad idea to me?

+1 to myself here :) as we're witnessing again reports of issues with them.

Unless someone has a solid explanation about why they are needed,
could we start making plans for their deprecation?

As far as I remember they were introduced to "reduce the number of
dependencies" but this isn't the right way.

Thanks,
Sanne