[infinispan-dev] Proposal - encrypted cache

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Nov 28 10:07:12 EST 2016

On 28 November 2016 at 07:21, Sebastian Laskawiec <slaskawi at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey Sanne!
>
> Comments inlined.
>
> Thanks
> Sebastian
>
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>> you're opening a very complex (but interesting!) topic.
>>
>> As the paper you linked to also reminds, it's extremely hard to
>> implement such a thing without "giving away" lots of useful metadata
>> to a potential attacker. It's an interesting paper as they propose a
>> technique to maintain query capabilities while not having the full
>> data readability, yet as other papers which I've seen before it's both
>> complex to implement, and leaves some questions unanswered; in this
>> case they seem to "just" not being able to camouflage the data access
>> patterns, which is pretty good but according to some experts really
>> not enough to keep the decryption keys safe.
>>
>> The typical problem is that if the server has no clue about the
>> encrypted blobs at all we won't be able to query it. However there's
>> ongoing research (like this one?) about being still able to run
>> queries on behalf of key-owning clients, identify a subset of the
>> data, e.g. a *naive* example: if you know the data structure and can
>> tell which section contains the "encrypted surname", then a client
>> could query for identical matches on the "encrypted surname"; however
>> this naive approach is critically flawed such as you might be able to
>> extract the encryption keys by analysing the statistical frequency of
>> signatures and run a dictionary attack, e.g. you might have a good
>> guess about which surname is expected to be the most commonly used.
>> You'll need salting techniques combined within the query capabilities,
>> e.g. MAC (message authentication codes) but these either require you
>> to trust the database (are we going in circles?) or expose you to
>> other forms of attack.
>

> Yes, you are correct. Not being able to query the server is a very serious
> problem. But preventing a potential attacker from analyzing your
> communication seems very easy to be solved - just use TLS to encrypt
> connection between the client and the server.

Maybe I misunderstood the "requirements" of your proposal. My answer
was based on the assumption that the client wouldn't trust the
servers, for example a client wanting to store sensible data in a
"database as a service" platform, having a third party provide the
service.
If you use TLS during communication, it implies you don't trust the
communication channels but somewhat trust the server. You might as
well just use TLS and then not store the data in encrypted form, or
share the encryption access with the servers?

Thanks,
Sanne