[infinispan-dev] to be a command, or not to be a command, that is the question

Katia Aresti karesti at redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 06:11:25 EDT 2017

Hi all,

As you might know I'm working since my arrival, among other things, on
ISPN-5728 Jira [1], where the idea is to override the default ConcurrentMap
methods that are missing in CacheImpl (merge, replaceAll, compute ... )

I've created a pull-request [2] for compute, computeIfAbsent and
computeIfPresent methods, creating two new commands. By the way, I did the
same thing for the merge method in a branch that I haven't pull requested
yet.

There is an opposite view between Radim and Will concerning the
implementation of these methods. To make it short :
In one side Will considers compute/merge best implementation should be as a
new Command (so what is already done)
In the other side, Radim considers adding another command is not necessary
as we could simple implement these methods using ReadWriteKeyCommand

The detailed discussion and arguments of both sides is on GitHub [2]

Before moving forward and making any choice by myself, I would like to hear
your opinions. For the record, it doesn't bother me redoing everything if
most people think like Radim because working on commands has helped me to
learn and understand more about infinispan internals, so this hasn't been a
waste of time for me.

Katia

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-5728
[2] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/5046