[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod client sending data to itself - ISPN-8186

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 09:04:50 EDT 2017

I did run a local test and indeed you get a bind exception if trying to bind a local port that's in use as server port:

https://github.com/galderz/java-sandbox/blob/master/src/main/java/j/net/LocalPortClash.java

I'll check JGRP source and JIRA and try to dig this further.

Cheers,

> On 14 Aug 2017, at 08:48, Bela Ban <belaban at mailbox.org> wrote:
>
> Right: the localHost:localPort combo of the client socket cannot be the
> same as that of the remoteHost:remotePort.
>
> Do you happen to have the link to the JGroups issue? I also remember
> this, but googling I failed to find it. Perhaps we can use the same
> solution here that we used for the JGRP issue.
>
> I vaguely recall we checked the client's local address:port against some
> server address:port and closed/re-created it is the same.
>
> On 11/08/17 20:56, Dennis Reed wrote:
>> On 08/11/2017 11:50 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>> I must admit this scenario sounds very weird... how does Java allow you for a local port to be bound to a port that's already in use by the server? It doesn't make sense.
>>
>> You cannot bind to a port that's already in use.
>>
>> But if you're trying to connect to a port in the ephemeral range that's
>> not in use, and the OS happens to assign that same IP:port to the local
>> socket, it can connect to itself.
>>
>> (We've run into this in JGroups before, and it was a pain to track down
>> what was going on).
>>
>> -Dennis

> Bela Ban | http://www.jgroups.org

Infinispan, Red Hat