[infinispan-dev] On the scattered cache blog post

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Tue Jul 4 07:11:28 EDT 2017

Hey Radim,

Awesome blog post on scattered cache [1]!

I think there's some extra information to be added or to be clarified in the blog itself:

1. From what I understand, scattered cache should help the embedded use case primarily? When using Hot Rod, the primary owner is always hit, so the penalty of landing in a non-owner and having to do 2 RPCs is not there. Am I right? This should be clarified in the blog post.

2. "As you can see, this algorithm cannot be easily extended to multiple owners" <- Do you mean users should never set num owners to 3 or higher? How would the system work if num owners was 1?

Some of these questions might have been answered in the design doc, but as a user, I should not be expected to read the design document to answer these questions.

If these questions are answered in the user documentation, that would be fine but I feel these are things that should be explained/clarified in the blog post itself.

Cheers,

[1] http://blog.infinispan.org/2017/07/scattered-cache.html
Infinispan, Red Hat