[infinispan-dev] Infinispan "mitosis"

Gustavo Fernandes gustavo at infinispan.org
Tue Mar 14 10:10:50 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org>
wrote:

> Just throwing out an idea I just had while thinking of Hibernate OGM
> user needs for data migration.
>
> For people using databases & related frameworks, it's common to have a
> staging database which contains not just the staging "schema" but also
> data. When legally possible, it's often preferable to have snapshot
> from production data.
>
> For example last time I worked with a SQL database, each week I'd take
> a production backup and restore it on both our staging environment and
> on the developer's instances so that everyone could run tests on it -
> without needing access to the real production.
>
> Interestingly, while we don't have an easy tool get a fully consistent
> snapshot from a live Infinispan grid, "replicating" should be a
> familiar concept here?

We do have a way to "copy" data from a grid, which is part of the Rolling
Upgrade process [1], which is
supposed to migrate data from one cluster to another with no downtime for
clients. Both clusters
are independent and can have incompatible Infinispan version, like 8.x and
9.x.

Re-using some parts of the Rolling Upgrade from [1], it'd be possible to
extract a tool that simply grabs data from a
running cluster and save it to another without the clients accessing the
source cluster being aware of it. Although
not technically a snapshot, it fits the use case of pre-production
environment provisioning.

[1]
http://infinispan.org/docs/dev/user_guide/user_guide.html#rolling_upgrades_for_infinispan_servers