[infinispan-dev] Stream operations under lock

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:24:38 EDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 4:05 AM Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:54 PM, William Burns <mudokonman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> sanne at infinispan.org>

> stream
> we
> my
> locks
> so

> doesn't
> >> >

> >> With a transactional cache I was assuming you manage the transaction
> >> yourself... if the user has to call
> >> transactionManager.begin()/commit()/rollback() anyway, why not use a
> >> regular stream?
> >

> > The user would be using an implicit transaction or explicit. Like I said
> > this is up for discussion. The main reason I am staying away from
> managing
> > the transaction is that the user can mess with the transaction as well
> which
> > would possibly release the lock. It is much simpler if all I am doing is
> > managing the lock. And if the user doesn't require a transaction in
> > Infinispan we didn't waste time starting one and releasing one.
> >

> Every write to a transactional cache will start an implicit
> transaction, so I don't think we really have the option of not
> starting a transaction.

Yes a write to it will, but the stream stuff doesn't write to it, it just
locks. So if the user doesn't have to actually write to the cache, they may
want to just update a 3rd party system for example.

> >> Totally agree that #A can't work with any kind of transaction
> >> configuration.
> >>
> >> As to optimistic locking, I would like having "feature parity" between
> >> pessimistic and optimistic caches as much as possible, but I agree
> >> locking eagerly and retrying the consumer on WriteSkewException are a
> >> bit too different to fit under the same API.
> >

> > Yeah I would definitely like to have it as well, but I just can't see
> how it
> > fits in. This is despite the implementation detail that it is quite
> > difficult to get it working currently :D

> operation
> process?

> read,
> already
> >> >

> >> Would this be more efficient than the consumer reading the key with
> >> FORCE_WRITE_LOCK and deciding what to do based on the value?
> >>

> > The problem with this is you have to go remote to lock the key, return
> the
> > value then do something for every key (not to mention pulling those keys
> > using an iterator). Very costly! The main benefit of the stream with
> lock is
> > that you are performing everything on the primary owner of the data with
> the
> > lock already acquired. The only piece sent remotely is the consumer and
> some
> > internal classes, very light weight and you have all the benefits of data
> > locality.
> >

> I meant using cache.withFlags(FORCE_WRITE_LOCK).get(key) in the
> Consumer itself, and assuming it runs on the primary owner.

Ah yes you could for pessimistic, but not optimistic or nontx :( In this
case it would be very similar.

> the

> user
> >> >

> >> Even local caches can use optimistic locking :)
> >

> > Yes I know :) I was just framing it in the notion of remote. If anyone
> can
> > think of a nice way of using this with optimistic transactions I would
> all
> > be for it. But optimistic transactions just doesn't make any sense to me
> > when you are locking a key eagerly for someone to do something with it
> > (definition of pessimistic transaction).
> >

> Maybe I didn't explain properly...
>
> I meant in optimistic caches we wouldn't acquire the lock at all. The
> stream would just start an optimistic transaction, run the consumer,
> and try to commit. If the prepare fails because of a
> WriteSkewException, start from the beginning.

This assumes the user will be updating the cache, I am not sure we can
always assume that (in regards to starting a transaction).

But this is a good point (I misunderstood earlier), it should be pretty
easy to just catch WriteSkewException and retry the given Consumer with the
new entry (if it exists still).