[infinispan-dev] All jars must go?

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu May 4 07:26:35 EDT 2017

Hi all,

As you might already know, there's been big debates about upcoming Java 9 module system.

Recently Stephen Colebourne, creator Joda time, posted his thoughts [1].

Stephen mentions some potential problems with all jars since no two modules should have same package. We know from past experience that using these jars as dependencies in Maven create all sorts of problems, but with the new JPMS they might not even work?

Have we tried all jars in Java 9? I'm wondering whether Stephen's problems with all jars are truly founded since Java offers no publishing itself. I mean, for that Stephen mentions to appear, you'd have to at runtime have an all jar and then individual jars, in which case it would fail. But as long as Maven does not enforce this in their repos, I think it's fine. If Maven starts enforcing this in the jars that are stored in Maven repos then yeah, we have a big problem.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

[1] http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-module-naming.html
Infinispan, Red Hat