[infinispan-dev] Counters and their configurations in Infinispan server (DMR)

Vladimir Blagojevic vblagoje at redhat.com
Thu Nov 2 08:33:12 EDT 2017

Hey guys,

How do you anticipate users are going to deal with counters? Are they
going to be creating a lot of them in their applications, say dozens,
hundreds, thousands?

I am asking because I have a dilemma about their representation in DMR
and therefore in the admin console and potentially wider. The dilemma is
related to splitting the concepts and the mapping between counter
configuration and counter instances. On one end of the possible spectrum
use, if users are going to have many counters that have the same
configuration then it makes sense to delineate the DMR concept of the
counter configuration and its counter instance just like we do for
caches and cache configuration templates. We deal with cache
configurations as templates; one could create hundreds of caches from
the same template. Similarly, we can do with counters. On the other end
if users are going to create very few counters then it likely does not
make much sense to separate counter configurations from its instance,
they would have one to one mapping. For each new counter, users would
just enter counter configuration and launch an instance of a
corresponding counter.

The first approach saves resources and makes large counter
instantiations easier while the second approach is easier to understand
conceptually but is inefficient if we are going to have many counter
instance.

Thoughts?

Vladimir