[infinispan-dev] Adjusting memory settings in template

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Fri Sep 22 10:38:50 EDT 2017

On 22 September 2017 at 13:49, Sebastian Laskawiec <slaskawi at redhat.com> wrote:
> It's very tricky...
>
> Memory is adjusted automatically to the container size [1] (of course you
> may override it by supplying Xmx or "-n" as parameters [2]). The safe limit
> is roughly Xmx=Xms=50% of container capacity (unless you do the off-heap,
> that you can squeeze Infinispan much, much more).
>
> Then there are Limits, Requests and QoS in Kubernetes [3][4]. We are in
> bustable memory category so if there is additional memory in the node, we'll
> get it. But if not, we won't go below 512 MB (and 500 mCPU).

I hope that's a temporary choice of the work in process?

Doesn't sound acceptable to address real world requirements..
Infinispan expects users to estimate how much memory they will need -
which is hard enough - and then we should at least be able to start a
cluster to address the specified need. Being able to rely on 512MB
only per node would require lots of nodes even for small data sets,
leading to extreme resource waste as each node would consume some non
negligible portion of memory just to run the thing.

Thanks,
Sanne