[infinispan-dev] Adjusting memory settings in template

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Sep 25 05:54:39 EDT 2017

I don't understand your reply here... are you talking about Infinispan instances deployed on OpenShift Online? Or on premise?

I can understand having some limits for OpenShift Online, but these templates should also be applicable on premise, in which case I should be able to easily define how much memory I want for the data grid, and the rest of the parameters would be worked out by OpenShift/Kubernetes?

To demand on premise users to go and change their template just to adjust the memory settings seems to me goes against all the usability improvements we're trying to achieve.

Cheers,

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 14:49, Sebastian Laskawiec <slaskawi at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> It's very tricky...
>
> Memory is adjusted automatically to the container size [1] (of course you may override it by supplying Xmx or "-n" as parameters [2]). The safe limit is roughly Xmx=Xms=50% of container capacity (unless you do the off-heap, that you can squeeze Infinispan much, much more).
>
> Then there are Limits, Requests and QoS in Kubernetes [3][4]. We are in bustable memory category so if there is additional memory in the node, we'll get it. But if not, we won't go below 512 MB (and 500 mCPU).
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
>
> [1] https://github.com/jboss-dockerfiles/infinispan/tree/master/server#adjusting-memory
> [2] https://github.com/jboss-dockerfiles/infinispan/blob/master/server/docker-entrypoint.sh#L303-L308
> [3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWGkvrIPqJ4
> [4] https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.2/dev_guide/compute_resources.html
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> How do you change memory settings for Infinispan started via service catalog?
>
> The memory settings seem defined in [1], but this is not one of the parameters supported.
>
> I guess we want this as parameter?
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan-openshift-templates/blob/master/templates/infinispan-ephemeral.json#L308
> --