[infinispan-dev] Public cluster discovery service

Bela Ban belaban at mailbox.org
Thu Mar 8 05:47:02 EST 2018

On 08/03/18 10:49, Sebastian Laskawiec wrote:
> Hey Bela,
>
> I've just stumbled upon this:
> https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/cluster-discovery.html
>
> The Etcd folks created a public discovery service. You need to use a
> token and get a discovery string back. I believe that's super, super
> useful for demos across multiple public clouds.

Why? This is conceptually the same as running a GossipRouter on a
public, DNS-mapped, IP address...

The real challenge with cross-cloud clusters is (as you and I
discovered) to bridge the non-public addresses of local cloud members
with members running in different clouds.

Unless you make all members use public IP addresses, but that's not
something that's typically advised in a cloud env.

> What do you think about that? Perhaps we could implement an ETCD_PING
> and just reuse their service or write our own?

Sure, should be simple. But - again - what's the goal? If
discovery.etcd.io can be used as a public *permanent* discovery service,
yes, cool

Bela Ban | http://www.jgroups.org