[jbdevstudio-users] JBDS 7 on OS X requires JDK 6

Luis Garcia luis.garcia at bitamins.net
Sat Oct 5 14:40:13 EDT 2013

I'm currently testing JBDS 7 on a freshly installed Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.8.5 [I've also tried with Mavericks, with the same result].
In order to install JBDS 7, you need to have java installed in order to run the command: java -jar InstallerFile_for_JBDS7.jar
So I downloaded the JDK 7_40 from Oracle and installed it.

When I wanted to run JBDS 7 I get a message stating that in order to run I must install JDK 6, at that time OS X offers to download a JDK directly from Apple and after it is installed then I'm able to run JDBS 7. This behavior is not consistent with the Windows version - If you have JDK 7 installed, you're able to lunch JDBS 7 without issues.

Can you guys shed some light to what the dependencies for JDK 6 on OS X for JBDS 7 are?
How can I make run directly on JDK 7, without having to install JDK 6.

* As a side note, by installing JDK 6, you get a 32 bit version of Java - that is not present on JDK 7.
This allows you to re-install JBDS 7 on OS X and get back the Visual Page Editor by selecting to run JBDS 7 with JDK 6 (32bit).

Regards,
Luis

Posted by forums
Original post: https://community.jboss.org/message/840331#840331