[jbdevstudio-users] JBossDevStudio 8 with EAP - Error on startup

Francesco Padula jbdevstudio-users at lists.jboss.org
Tue Dec 2 12:04:32 EST 2014

Last week I downloaded and installed JBoss Developer Studio with EAP, to develop an EE web application on Openshift.com for personal use.
JBDevStudio version is 8.0.0.GA-v20141020-1042-B317
I have experienced since problems when launching it.
It often crashes for apparently random reasons and with no particular conditions on my pc just after double clicking on the icon on start menu.
When it crashes, it reports the following status:
 Image:exit-status.jpg
Then, unexpectedly, some rare times, it succeeds to start, reporting a null pointer exception in a window (but correctly working  after i close that window).

These are the details of the installation as taken from help -> installation details -> configuration:

eclipse.vm=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
java.runtime.version=1.7.0_67-b01
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.specification.version=1.7
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.vendor.url=http://java.oracle.com/
java.vendor.url.bug=http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/
java.version=1.7.0_67
java.vm.info=mixed mode
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
java.vm.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.vm.specification.version=1.7
java.vm.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.vm.version=24.65-b04

os.arch=x86
os.name=Windows 7
os.version=6.1
osgi.arch=x86

JBoss Developer Studio (Branded Product)    8.0.0.GA-v20141020-1042-B317    com.jboss.devstudio.core.package

I had other JVMs to choose during installation (such as 1.7.0.45), but i eventually chose the default jre because setup said that other JVMs were not able to handle some JSF visual editor (or similar, and since i intend to use JSF further on, i opted for the default one).
What could be the problem? If you need other technical details to help me please ask and i'll search for them ASAP. I'm stuck right now.
Thanks a lot.

Posted by forums
Original post: https://developer.jboss.org/message/912154#912154