[jboss-as7-dev] Detyped and REST configuration API

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 14:11:07 EST 2010

On 11/30/10 12:03 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> In general, my concern about the approach you're outlining is it feels
> RPCish and not RESTful. I'm actually more comfortable with RPC, but we
> have a requirement to provide a REST interface and I'm concerned about
> straying so far from REST principles that the REST interface becomes an
> unmaintainable hack.

I think we have to look at the context of that requirement. The whole
point of it is to allow people writing perl,python,etc scripts to
control the domain. So really its a requirement for RPC over HTTP, not
so much "REST" from the architectural purity perspective. Note that all
of our other interfaces (which are arguably more important[CLI, gui,
etc]) represent things in a command oriented manner.

I really think we should go for simplicity here and just design a simple
Javaish detyped command oriented API. IMO it will be much much less work.

--
Jason T. Greene