[jboss-as7-dev] Deployment Chain/Service interaction

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Dec 7 09:18:47 EST 2010

On 12/02/2010 02:55 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 02:50 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> Class-path dependencies on
>>> other deployments will be added to this deployment's "modularize" phase
>>> as MSC dependencies on the dependency deployments' "structure" phase.
>>> When processing of this phase is complete, all the information necessary
>>> to construct the module for this deployment is available.
>>>

>> Can annotations, which aren't read until the "modularize" phase, result
>> in module dependencies?
>
> No.  See the section in "Missing Stuff" (#3) about this.  Since you
> can't read annotations until you have classloading, if you need to make
> additional classloading changes, it has to happen in a second phase
> where dependencies are recalculated, and the processor has to be aware
> of that fact; in addition the proper module dependencies (and thus the
> corresponding MSC dependencies) have to be established between the
> deployments.

As is often the case, Jason has made a liar out of me. :-)

This time, he has modified Jandex to be able to read annotation values
as well - the cost of doing so turns out to be much less than
anticipated - so, we can process annotations much earlier in the
deployer chain.  This is very good news - it gives us considerably more
flexibility in our deployer design.  Se let's move annotation processing
to, say, "parse" phase.

--
- DML