[jboss-as7-dev] Admin console

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 13:03:58 EST 2010

On 12/22/10 11:10 AM, Alan Santos wrote:

> The console definitely needs to support standalone as well as domain,
> and I agree that historic data collection is outside the scope of an
> unmanaged instance.
>
> I'm curious about the question of hosting the mgmt console as I assumed
> it would live in the domain controller.  I don't have my notes from
> Antwerp available to double check, but isn't the domain controller just
> another AS instance?  If so why wouldn't it always live in that process?

No, a domain controller is not an EE-capable app server.* It's a
specialized java process that only supports required functionality. From
an external client POV, the functionality it needs to expose are:

1) A socket backed by a service that understands the proprietary Java
protocol we'll use for the detyped management API.

2) An mbean server and a JMX connector.

3) A socket backed by a service that understands HTTP/HTTPS and can
support our REST interface. Note that this does not require Servlet spec
support. Our thinking at this time is to base this on the lightweight
HTTP server in JDK 6.

* To be precise, a DomainController is a HostController whose host.xml
config tells it to load the domain controller module rather than making
a connection to a remote HostController.

> And now that I've asked that question I'm curious - Are there
> expectations with regard to continuity for deployed applications when
> transitioning a server from a single instance to a domain?

The deployed application depends on the runtime services provided by the
AS instance's subsystems. There is no reason an AS instance running as
part of a domain can't be configured to provide the same runtime
services as a standalone server. If they can't be configured to provide
the same runtime environment, it's a bug. Most of the configuration
comes from the "profile" element, the contents of which can be identical
between domain.xml and standalone.xml.

The only exceptions I see to this are:

1) Domain mode does not support automatic deployment based on scanning
the filesystem. But that's not something the application itself uses.

2) The management API exposed by an AS instance is different in domain
mode vs standalone. Basically, a standalone AS instance allows a client
to the management API to update the instance's persistent configuration.
In domain mode, any updates to the persistent configuration need to be
done via the DomainController or HostController. But I doubt many
applications will want to alter the AS instance's persistent
configuration. If they do they'll need to be written to understand
domain mode vs. standalone.