[jboss-as7-dev] shutdown.sh equivalent

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 17:00:40 EDT 2011

The management API exposes a command "shutdown" on the root resource for
a standalone server.

Here's a hack that worked for me for executing that from the CLI:

pingguo:bin bstansberry$ (echo :shutdown; echo quit) | ./jboss-admin.sh
--connect controller=localhost:9999

   JBoss Admin Command-line Interface

   JBOSS_HOME: .....

   JAVA: .....

   JAVA_OPTS:

Connected to localhost:9999
[localhost:9999 /] :shutdown
Communication error: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.io.EOFException: Connection closed
[localhost:9999 /] quit
Closed connection to localhost:9999
pingguo:bin bstansberry$

The "--connect" argument passed to jboss-admin.sh tells it to connect
when it starts, without a separate command after it starts. The
"controller=localhost:9999" bit tells it how to connect. In this case
it's unnecessary; since localhost:9999 is the default.

Once I merge JBAS-9839 there will be a --file=xxx.txt option whereby
multiple commands can be read from a file.

The hack I did with (echo :shutdown; echo quit) was to get the CLI to
read two commands from stdin: the server shutdown command and an
instruction that the CLI itself should exit. I'm sure there are better
ways to do that.

Alexey, WDYT about something like this:

./jboss-admin.sh --connect --exec=:shutdown

Basically --exec means "execute one command and exit".