[jboss-as7-dev] Non java: JNDI bindings and MSC services in AS7

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Sat Apr 9 13:13:33 EDT 2011

On 04/09/2011 03:06 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> While looking into https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBAS-9261 I realized
> that we don't currently have support for non java: namespace JNDI
> bindings. The example application in that JIRA has a reference to a
> resource (a EJB in this case via ejb-ref and ejb-local-ref) and that
> reference points to a lookup name "Blah" (which is outside of java:
> namespace). Pre-AS7 days we allowed EJBs and other resources to be bound
> outside of java: namespace and then allow ejb-ref to point to that
> binding. Currently, in AS7 which is backed by Services for jndi
> bindings, I don't see how to deal with that since we don't have Services
> for non java: namespaces. Looking at this
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JavaEEImplementationTechnicalRequirements wiki
> I don't see it being covered. How do we plan to support such
> deployments, in AS7? Or more specifically, will binding outside of java:
> be backed by MSC services?

Bindings outside of "java:" will not be backed my MSC services as we
have no way of controlling what is bound and when.  We certainly could
support binding outside of "java:" but it's not really clear what the
semantics (or use cases) are.

I examined the example app and didn't find the lookup reference you're
referring to, but wouldn't it be a relative lookup regardless?  Unless
they specified a URL scheme in the first segment that is?
--
- DML