[jboss-as7-dev] JBAS-8680 and JBAS-9178

Kabir Khan kabir.khan at jboss.com
Mon Apr 11 08:13:28 EDT 2011

On 8 Apr 2011, at 17:54, Kabir Khan wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 17:42, Kabir Khan wrote:
>>> A more important question is what constitutes a clean server boot? We'll need some callback in the persister to be triggered when that happens (since ConfigurationPersister.store()) is not called until people start changing the model). Some thoughts about when this could get called are either:
>>> -Once we have parsed the config file into updates and successfully executed those in the model controller
>>> -The above but all services have successfully started (similar to what we do in ApplicationServerService.BootstrapListener()). I think a problem with this is that people could have started issuing management commands once the protocol + handlers are up and running before all the other services are up and running.
I've gone with this option in standalone mode, writes to the model are not backed up until the standalone server has successfully booted.
Now, the question is when the domain is considered to be properly started?
-Once we are ready to start the servers? Bad config in host/domain here could screw up startup for one or more servers.
-Once all the servers have been started successfully? If a server does not start for whatever reason we won't get the domain files backed up.

For the command line stuff, I am adding this extra system property for standalone mode (default value is 'standalone.xml':
-Djboss.server.config.file

and these two extra possible properties for the command line for domain mode:
-Djboss.domain.config.host
-Djboss.domain.config.domain

The default values will be 'host.xml' and 'domain.xml'.
If specified it can either be a full path:
-Djboss.domain.config.host=/somewhere/blah/some-host.xml

Or if a simple name, a file in jboss.domain.config.dir:
-Djboss.domain.config.host=special-host.xml

Or any of the backed up files using the known prefixes:
-Djboss.domain.config.host=initial
-Djboss.domain.config.host=last
-Djboss.domain.config.host=original
-Djboss.domain.config.host=v4