[jboss-as7-dev] Non java: JNDI bindings and MSC services in AS7

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 10:45:31 EDT 2011

On 04/12/2011 05:38 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 06:55 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be possible if the bindings outside java: were always done
>>> by a specific MSC service (like porting the JNDIBindingService which
>>> Scott pointed to)?
>> Yes, it would be possible, but there should be no reasonable expectation
>> that the JNDI context which backs non-"java:" bindings is an in-memory
>> context like "java:" is. That's why the URL scheme should be present.
>>
>> I think we could also look at treating these names as relative though.
>> So for example they could be relative to "java:jboss/user/". This way
>> they are still in "java:" even if they don't explicitly say so. If we
>> wanted to support this from a lookup perspective though, that could get
>> tricky, though maybe we could just apply the same logic there.
>>
> How do you want to handle remote clients lookups?

That depends on whether you're talking about in-VM or remote, external
clients.

For in-VM (and non-EE-app-client) clients we would obviously use our
current service-oriented system.  App client would probably work the
same as remote: when the connection is established, we'll probably have
a Remoting service which will download a list of available names, and
set up a remote JNDI initial context if that's what the user wants.
Note that it still is theoretically possible for us to provide a
simplified remote client API as well, where a user can simply ask for an
EJB view by name and get it back without hitting JNDI at all.

--
- DML