[jboss-as7-dev] "ignore" profile in standalone.xml?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 09:52:04 EDT 2011

One time when I was touching code in that area I briefly thought about
removing the name attribute altogether for standalone. My rationale for
not removing it was admins running multiple standalone servers with
differing configs may want to name their profile for their own reasons,
i.e. "oh, I see that serverX is running the datagrid profile."

Now that's not much of a reason, and might encourage weird wrong
thinking where admins think *we* somehow keep the "datagrid" profile in
sync across a bunch of standalone mode servers. It was just enough of a
reason for me to not divert from what I was doing and remove it right then.

Any opinions on that? If we keep it, I like "standalone" as the default
name as it implies nothing. Using "default" begs the question of "who's
default? The one Red Hat shipped? Ours?"