[jboss-as7-dev] DOCS: Researching details for standalone clustering

Darrin Mison dmison at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 21:24:58 EDT 2011

Hi, I'm chasing down details about the "standalone clustering" (as included in Beta3) for documentation.

I've noted the following:
1 - There's a clustering-standalone.xml configuration file in standalone/configuration that you can start the server with using ./standalone.sh -server-config=clustering-standalone.xml

2 - This configuration differs from the standard config in that:
      - the org.jboss.as.clustering extension is enabled
      - some additional items are configured in the urn:jboss:domain:osgi:1.0 subsystem
      - 2 new subsystems configured (jgroups and infinispan)
      - 6 new socket bindings added to the standard-sockets group for jgroups

So exactly what feature set does this give you out of the box for clustering?

I'm guessing session replication between standalone instances with JGroups for intra-node communication and Infinispan for storage?

Anything else?

Other questions:

How does each instance determine which other instances it should be clustered with?

Does this work with multiple instances on one machine (multi-homed or on different ports)?

Can multiple standalone instances using "cluster" configuration live on the same network but not all be one cluster? Like 10 instances as 2 clusters of 5 for example?

Aside from centralized management, what are the other key features from domain mode that you won't get from standalone clustering ?

Are there any known changes that are going to be made to this feature set for GA ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Darrin Mison
"I'm not a JBoss Developer, I just play one on TV"