[jboss-as7-dev] Definitely no subsystem support in the domain controller?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Feb 8 01:24:40 EST 2011

> Just want to double check one last time that there will be no support
> for subsystems in the domain controller.

What I want to avoid is arbitrary configuration profiles on the domain
controller/host controller. The configuration of the DC/HC should be
limited to the things that need to be exposed, no more and no less.

> For securing the management APIs the backing infrastructure that we
> would need to be able to connect to is most likely already covered by
> the login modules included within PicketBox.  The integration of this
> with JBossAS 7 is also already working to provide a nicer schema when
> defining a security domain.
>
> http://community.jboss.org/thread/154409?tstart=0
>
> If a schema already exists then the benefit of re-using it really means
> that administrators only need to learn how to configure these modules
> once rather than once for the management API and once for the actual
> subsystems used by servers.

Sure, reusing schema makes sense. But within the context of an HC
<management/> config I don't see any requirement that the outer tag
needs to be

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:security:1.0">...</subsystem>

It can just be <security>, or, if we decide it's important that the
version of HC's security schema be configurable (I don't think that's
necessary), then perhaps

<security xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:security:1.0">...</security>

> The first problem is that the existing parsing of the configuration will
> be based around the detyped API and performing operations in the context
> of a subsystem.  Secondly operations to operate on this configuration
> will also be in that context.
>
> In the context of the domain controller configuration we could still
> re-implement the parsing and operations without the dependency of a
> server and the subsystem so at least the configuration appears the same
> even if the integration with the server is different.

If we're smart, we should be able to get a lot of re-use. The existing
subsystem code is purposefully oblivious as to where the subsystem
resource sits in the overall management tree.

If absolutely necessary, we can look at setting up a
mini-server/ServerController inside the HostController process, and use
it to manage a limited set of subsystems. But we need to think carefully
before going down that road.

> However the next issue that crops up using the PicketBox modules is the
> dependence on things like JNDI and Datasources, probably not a massive
> issue to solve but has there been any consideration yet regarding how to
> manage datasources in the domain controller process?

We certainly don't want to run a JCA container in the HC just so
PicketBox can talk to a DB. A simple connection pool seems adequate.