[jboss-as7-dev] Web UI: Profile & host sections mutable?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 12:14:44 EST 2011

On 02/14/2011 11:03 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2011, at 5:54 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>
>>   I think we should strive to modify our
>> subsystem/extension architecture such that there are no inter-subsystem
>> dependencies.
>

> Sorry, I had to read your email a second time. Do you really think this will be possible?
> A typical shared subsystem is the the TransactionManager. How can JCA be left out
> in a custom profile without including this one?

The way we've solved this in other subsystems is by introducing optional
dependencies at the service level.  For example if the transaction
subsystem is configured with an ORB present, we configure JTS, otherwise
we do not; if OSGi and Txn are both present, then OSGi exposes the Txn
service.

I'm not 100% certain we can extend this technique to all cases, but I
think we should at least try to.  JCA for example would obviously be
quite crippled without JTA.  So I do not have an answer to that case;
maybe it suffices to print a warning message in this case.  We should at
least explore it before we throw out the idea though.
--
- DML