[jboss-as7-dev] Metadata for AS

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 19:50:30 EST 2011

On 02/21/2011 07:25 PM, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 18:42 -0500, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>> Also Remy, point me to the web integration parts?  If I remove
>> jboss-metadata as a dependency from one or two projects, light
>> everything red, and then plug in this thing, it shouldn't take me long
>> to retool the lot.  Assuming Descriptors gets built out and is good to go.
>
> Yes, it needs to do the following: parse the spec descriptors using STAX
> (like metadata does now; supposedly it is faster), provide a unified
> view with the annotations, allow merging the descriptors using some
> arcane rules (from the specification), and allow merging with a JBoss
> specific descriptor (which allows overriding and proprietary settings).

STAX is an implementation detail.  We're going for pluggable backends,
starting w/ straight DOM.  From a user perspective it's all the same
view - spec and JBoss grammars only.

Unified view from annotations and merging is one and the same, right?
With any luck we can port the existing logic into whatever new model we
choose, as the merge stuff is extensive, error-prone, manual and
time-consuming.

> The main rule is to make sure the standalone Servlet&  JSP TCKs pass
> before considering things are done.

Agreed, with the additional footnote that I believe we should have our
own coverage in a usable testsuite (ie. JUnit, TestNG) which mirrors
TCK/compliant stuff at the unit level.  Using the TCK alone for
acceptance testing wastes a lot of time, and should be avoided wherever
possible.

S,
ALR