[jboss-as7-dev] the cli status

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 14:58:03 EST 2011

This looks great. We definitely needed to get the low-level stuff in
first as we need to support all possible changes. The more task oriented
higher level operations is something that should come in as a second
phase, but by nature they will be more limited, so will require some
thought on determining what the common operations are, and what level of
detail is needed per command. (Obviously things like start/stop server
and deploy etc)

On 3/4/11 12:09 PM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
> Yes, it's low level. But it had to pass this mark too ;)
>
> About '/' for the commands, I did it on purpose actually. Because I
> expected operations to be much more popular than commands (at least in
> the current state of things). It would be more annoying to prefix
> operations with '/' to me. Perhaps, there could be command mode and an
> operation mode, or something else. I'll think about it.
>
> But the first line after the cli starts says 'type /help for...' ;)
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Alexey
>
> On 03/04/2011 06:35 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Hi Alexey,
>>
>> I tried the CLI for the first time today and I must say the syntax is complete opposite to anything else I know/tried.
>>
>> i.e. when starting a cli I would expect being able to type "help" ...not /help
>>
>> for me / would be much better of being what you use as a prefix shortcut to "execute" operations.
>>
>> Beyond that I really find the interface too low level; not saying the features that are there shouldn't be there
>> but we should add some easier to get to features than by doing raw operations.
>>
>> Just my first 5 minute impression - i'll try read your new docs and see if that can get me pass and actually execute something ;)
>>
>> /max
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 17:33, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>
>>> I started an article on the CLI here
>>> http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-16581
>>>
>>> which describes the currently supported features. Brian has just pulled
>>> it into the master.
>>>
>>> You are welcome to give feedback, compensate my English and doc writing
>>> skills...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alexey
>>
>> /max