[jboss-as7-dev] proposed cli changes

Alexey Loubyansky alexey.loubyansky at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 09:59:04 EST 2011

> On 3/7/11 8:41 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>

>> On 03/07/2011 03:33 PM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>> Max, Emanuel and I discussed the usability aspects of the cli today. We
>>> agreed on the following:
>>>
>>> 1) drop the '/' prefix for the commands;
>>>

> How does this relate to the discussion of low-level commands vs high level?
>
> Other than that question, what you describe here sounds fine (including
> the 'cd' alias, which I know would be what I'd naturally use).

It's basically a switch. In the current impl commands require '/' as a
prefix and operations don't require anything. Here it's the opposite.

Operations performed at the current level (prefix address) would require
':'.
Operations performed at a deeper level than the current one (if they
need to specify additional address part) would start with './' then the
address part, then ':' + operation name.
Or, if you want to start from the root node, you'll have to start with '/'.

Commands won't require any prefix.

Alexey

>>> 2) instead of '~' signifying the root node use '/';
>>>
>>> 3) instead of ',' as a node separator in the address (node path) use
>>> '/'. so the format of an operation will look like
>>>
>>> [node-type=node-name (/node-type=node-name)*] : operation-name
>>> ['('param=value (,param=value)*')']
>>>
>>> This (2 and 3) will make the path look more linux-like, so hopefully
>>> more friendly for an admin.
>>>
>>> 4) in the same spirit, the tab-completion for operations will start with
>>> './', e.g. './subsystem=web/connector=http:read-resource'
>>
>> or '/' to start from the root (if the current address (prefix) is
>> something other than the root). e.g.
>>
>> [subsystem=web/connector=http] /subsystem-threads:read-resource
>>
>>> 5) for the command names, Max likes
>>> cn (change node) - current /prefix or /to.
>>> cwn (current working node) - again current /prefix or /to w/o arguments.
>>>
>>> I'd even go for cd to change the node. The reason I didn't add it
>>> originally was 'directory' doesn't belong here. But cd is kind of habit
>>> for this kind of thing, so I could add it as an alias.
>>>
>>> Any objections or suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alexey