[jboss-as7-dev] Management API Security - Part 2 ;-)

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 12:42:35 EST 2011

Is there a better term than "management-api"?  "API" doesn't feel right.

"management-interface"
"management-connection"

Both are somewhat overloaded, since we have "interface" elsewhere and
you are proposing <management><connections> elsewhere.

management-api is OK if we can't come up with a better name.

Please plan on submitting a patch before M2 changing the existing schema
and operation handling from <management> to <management-???>. But we
don't need to add all your new <management/> stuff to the schema for M2.

(The rest below is a tangent I explored then decided against; folks
should ignore the rest unless they want to avoid going down the same
thought path.)

Can <management-api> go inside management? I understand the logic for
putting it outside (one is primarily domain.xml, the other is primarily
host.xml), but if we're going to allow host-level overrides of the
domain level stuff, that distinction breaks down. It also makes it easy
to set up a default config that's used by all hosts.

Reason to reject: doing this means a host may be unmanageable unless it
can contact the master DC or is configured to boot off a
"last-known-good" local copy of domain.xml. That's not acceptable.