[jboss-as7-dev] Management API Security - Part 2 ;-)

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Fri Mar 11 07:31:29 EST 2011

> On 3/10/11 1:05 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Just to clarify it was "management-apis" that I was proposing not
>> "management-api" - I don't mind either way but the reason I went for the
>> plural form is because we also have "interfaces", "jvms", "servers"
>> etc...
>>

> Sure; the plural is correct. My concern was more that we're calling
> something that's essentially a connector an "api". We use that term
> internally all the time and I think we all grok what it means. I'm just
> a bit concerned that end users (i.e. admins) won't grok it.

I know what you mean, an 'Application Programming Interface' is not
really something an administrator would automatically expect - they want
to connect to it but not necessarily program against it.

>> Secondly these outer elements wrap singular forms e.g. "interface",
>> "jvm", "server".
>>
>> Within the current "management" element we have two "*-api" elements so
>> could have these sharing a common "management-api" type for common
>> attributes e.g. "security-realm".
>>
>> On 03/10/2011 05:42 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> Is there a better term than "management-api"? "API" doesn't feel right.
>>>
>>> "management-interface"

Thinking about it is <management-interface> that overloaded?  We use it
elsewhere to specify network interfaces, the element we are talking
about here is making the management accessible over a network interface.
  It is also the same as API with the A and the P removed ;-)

Alternatively, JBoss Web has "connectors" - Messaging seems to have
"connectors" and "acceptors".  Once Remoting 3 is integrated what word
will be used there to define the server side of the connection?

One point if we choose something different to management-api it would
probably also make sense to move the <http-api> and <native-api>
elements to the same so no reference to 'api' at all.

>>> "management-connection"
>>>
>>> Both are somewhat overloaded, since we have "interface" elsewhere and
>>> you are proposing<management><connections> elsewhere.
>>>
>>> management-api is OK if we can't come up with a better name.
>>>
>>> Please plan on submitting a patch before M2 changing the existing schema
>>> and operation handling from<management> to<management-???>. But we
>>> don't need to add all your new<management/> stuff to the schema for M2.
>>
>> If we are happy to go for this I am actually planning on submitting
>> something tomorrow - once I have the top level "management" element
>> 'reserved' I can then start to get that populated next week.
>>

> OK, good. Just use a constant anywhere the "management-api(s)" string or
> variants thereof appear in java code so we can change the color of the
> bike shed if someone makes a good case for green.

Also this will be a single commit so will be easier to track everything
that was changed for the rename.

> I'm in no rush to get the new <management/> stuff into M2. Unless lots
> of stuff behind it is implemented. ;) Otherwise, it's a new chunk of
> schema that hasn't been through the ringer yet and is subject to change
> -- better to put it in trunk the day after the release than the day before.

Agreed, my first priority is getting the <management> element moved so I
am free to work on it but I don't need the new element in master until
it actually does something.