[jboss-as7-dev] Account for OSGi bundles in DeploymentUnitProcessors

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 10:16:14 EDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 04:11 AM, Thomas Diesler wrote:
> Folks,
>
> an OSGi bundle deployment is fundamentally different from an EE
> deployment and must be handled by the OSGi subsystem. DUPs that are not
> targeted for OSGi bundle deployments must ignore these. Currently the
> recommended approach to ignore an OSGi deployment in a DUP is

I think this is the wrong approach.  Instead we need to make these
deployments compatible.  There are many other deployers for example
which are not necessarily EE specific which should work with OSGi.

If you look at the common contract for OSGi and EE there is actually
more that can be shared than you might think.  OSGi really should only
take over class loading and structure processing.  In particular, when
OSGi creates the module for the deployment it should create it in the
standard location and if possible it should respect additional
dependencies specified by other deployers (however, processing of
Class-Path at least should probably be skipped in this case, unless it's
possible to make it work cleanly with OSGi).

Then the service-type deployers should be allowed to run - in
particular, deployers which process META-INF/services and probably most
deployment descriptor types should work just fine as far as I can see.

Is there any specific reason why we cannot do this?
--
- DML