[jboss-as7-dev] dmr: server instances?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 17:46:02 EDT 2011

I'm not sure what you're asking. So I'll just blather on. :-)

There's really 2 things:

1) The host.xml <server> element. That tells a HostController the
information it needs to launch a server. That info needs to be stored in
the model as part of the host's configuration, and is stored under
host=x,server-config=y. That suggests the XML element should be named
<server-config>. I didn't change it mostly because it's less intuitive
for people only concerned with XML.

2) The host=x,server=y resource, which represents an actual running
server. What I proposed was moving some operations related to
starting/stopping/restarting a server from host=x,server-config=y to
host=x,server=y. Those ops are only loosely related to "server-config".

Combining host=x,server-config=y and host=x,server=y would be pretty
messy. (And would add a fair bit of implementation complexity.) Under
host=x,server-config=y there can be server-specific overrides of stuff
stored elsewhere in domain.xml and host.xml (paths, interfaces, system
properties). We'd have to give those overrides different names in the
tree to distinguish them from the merged values on the running server.
For example, in domain.xml, we might have some domain-wide defaults:

<system-properties>
   <system-property name="foo" value="foo"/>
   <system-property name="bar" value="bar"/>
</system-properties>

In host xml there might be

<server name="x"...>
   <system-properties>
     <!-- Override the domain value -->
     <system-property name="bar" value="xyz"/>
   </system-properties>
</server>

That override needs to be accessible and changeable via the management
API, at the host controller level.

But if you did this from the cli:

/host=local/server=x:read-attribute(name="system-properties")

you'd want to get all properties that exist in the running server, i.e.

{
   "outcome"=>"success",
   "result"=>[
     {"foo"=>"foo"},