[jboss-as7-dev] Question about EAR's and Class Loading

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 17:28:02 EDT 2011

On 03/22/2011 09:10 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> On 3/22/11 3:08 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>>> Here's the relevant passage:
>>>
>>> "Components in the EJB container may have access to the following
>>> classes and resources. Portable applications must not depend on having
>>> or not having access to these classes or resources.
>>> [...]
>>> * The content of any EJB jar files included in the same ear file.
>>> * The content of any client jar files specified by the above EJB jar
>>> files."
>>>
>>> Thus it is correct to require an explicit Class-Path between EJB JARs
>>> within an application.
>> Note that its typically not required if you are using injection / jndi,
>> because then you are wiring a dependency and passing instances along
>> module boundaries.
>>
>> In the JPA case though, its just local classes, so their needs to be
>> some kind of import (/lib, class-path ref, module-ref) in our current
>> low-visibility model.
> BTW the reason we went with the low-visibility model, was that our
> thinking was it would reduce CCEs and allow for multiple EJB jars to use
> different versions of a thirdparty framework in the same EAR.

I think we should have the option of the high-visibility model. IMO it
is what users are expecting of the JBoss App Server.

What I'm missing in those sections is any reference to an EAR scoped PU.
If you have that (which is this case) then injecting the PU should also
expose it to that EJB jar.

Carlo