[jboss-as7-dev] how to access the management model?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 13:30:05 EDT 2011

On 3/23/11 3:19 PM, André Dietisheim wrote:
> Hi Jason
>
> thanks for the further insights!
>
>> There is an HTTP interface that can take requests in either JSON or in
>> base64 encoded dmr binary format. We don't call it REST though because
>> "invoking" an arbitrary management operation (e.g. "clear auth cache")
>> does not meet the REST purity definition.
>
> hmm, to be honest I dont really understand why a RESTy semantic (ex.
> post to or delete to the uri of the cache resource) would not allow this
> operation. But I might miss something here since I do not have the same
> background.

It's purely an issue of complexity. A more RPC approach has the benefit
that any subsystem can expose any runtime call it wishes to by just
adding a method and a mapping. In a REST approach you have to come up
with clever ways to map what ever you are doing to a CRUD resource tree,
this puts a lot of burden on subsystem developers.

Also note that we support complex transactional operations (e.g. apply
this change to 15 servers and if more than 4 of them fail roll it back)
which do not map cleaning to a simple READ/UPDATE/DELETE URL model. You
end up having to create virtual session specific objects for every client.

>> Keep in mind that the remote Java API will be the easiest to use from
>> Java, since it will handle all the transport stuff for you, and
>> exposes a nice API for working with detyped data. The main focus of
>> the HTTP interface is supporting non-Java clients (i.e. scripting
>> languages, and the console which is JavaScript based)
>>

> oh, looks like I missed this one. Guess using the java API would be the
> better choice for me then. Is there any documentation about it?

Right now we just have:
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/FormatofaDetypedOperationRequest

Also see the code fro the management demos.

--
Jason T. Greene