[jboss-as7-dev] AS7 Arquillian and OSGi

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Sat Mar 26 02:53:01 EDT 2011

Wanted to let everyone know what I've been working on so we don't take
on any overlap.

I'm considering as a blocker to moving forward on the Integration
TestSuite stuff the issue of resolving the Arquillian OSGi fork.  Until
further notice, please consider everything under jboss-as/arquillian frozen.

At first glance, it might appear that we should just merge the stuff in
the ARQ fork upstream, but we've identified a few reasons this cannot be
done:

1) Additions to the ARQ API which shouldn't be there (JMX
DeploymentManager, etc)
2) Reliance from ARQ on ShrinkWrap implementation internals
3) Merge clashes as the fork and ARQ have diverged in both API and
design over time

So what I've got in my local repos is a scenario where I've moved some
of the new OSGi/ARQ modules into the AS tree (testenricher-jmx,
testenricher-msc, etc), and am still finding the proper place for some
of the bits which hook everything together.

Thomas and David do have a series of good ideas in this code:

* Addressing OSGi concerns, but more generically speaking, getting ARQ
to be more aware of a modular ClassLoading environment
* An injectable ArchiveDeployer, such that we can programatically
trigger deployments from within a test via a simple abstraction
* Probably some more stuff I haven't yet uncovered ;)

The main take away from this mail is:

1) Continue to populate the existing integration testsuite as you'd
like.  I'll clean up later.
2) Don't touch the arquillian subsystem in the AS tree for now.
3) Never, ever fork an upstream project for specialized retrofitting to AS.
4) I may be rewriting a bunch of the ARQ/AS7 connector stuff as needed.

Once this is done, I'll coordinate whatever changes we need to ARQ into
the upstream w/ the ARQ team, probably in some branch which I'll keep in
sync/rebased with master.  We can do interim releases off this branch
for AS until Aslak blesses ARQ Alpha6, at which point we'll be synced up
for the future.

S,
ALR