[jboss-as7-dev] Arquillian and JPDA on AS7

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 13:57:42 EDT 2011

>>> That is what I meant, but since the configs would be the same but simply just an offset specified when starting up
>>> it becomes the same does it not ?
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm curious how you guys workaround this problem when using arquillian - I keep having to remember shutting
>>> down my AS before running anything Arquillian related.
>>>
>>> Maybe that is the only approach?
>>
>> Well, yes.  I always shut down my AS instance before starting another one (whether via ARQ or not).
>
> Yeah, its just that its so easy now to end up in a weird port or runtime conflict that I think many won't notice and believe there is a bug when if they had
> just been made aware of it somehow the confusion could be avoided.

Any issues in the forums or similar where users are actually reporting
this problem?  And that they can't figure out they've started running 2
AS instances in the same port space?

>> Unless you're using the ARQ remote connector to attach to an existing remote process, and you don't want ARQ managing your server lifecycle (only deployment and testing).
>
> ARQ Managing your server lifecycle ? How would that work ? For me ARQ is just about starting/attaching and stopping/detaching when running tests.

Yes, "starting" and "stopping" is managing the server lifecycle.  It's
done in Embedded and Managed modes by ARQ.

> IMO Starting/Stopping AS for debugging/"real" testing is done from command line scripts or if using an IDE for it with whatever mechanism they use (which aren't ARQ)

Respectfully disagree.  That's how it's traditionally been done because
we've had no better way.  Again, ARQ can manage the server lifecycle in
Embedded and Managed modes.  And "real testing" is subjective; I can do
all sorts of amazing things in these modes (like used shared memory to
test concurrency and pass-by-reference) that are impossible in other
ways.  Not to mention that it's dead simple to run.

The most isolated run mode is Remote, which yes, most closely reflects a
production environment.  I like to encourage the notion of using
whatever run level is appropriate, and also use many layers of testing.

S,
ALR