[jboss-as7-dev] Console Roadmap, Checkpoint

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Mon May 2 08:33:04 EDT 2011

I've updated the console roadmap here:
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/ManagementConsoleRoadmap

We've reached a point where it has become obvious that we won't be able to
deliver all the requirements with AS 7.0.0.Final (Assuming it's end of May)

Therefore I would suggest the following approach:

- Deliver a reasonable feature set with 1.0.0.Final
This means a focus on core management functionality: What's really important?

- Postpone extended use cases: Deployment & Management plans, User Management

- Everything else goes into a subsequent milestone end of this year

The contents of the Final release need to be time boxed, but I cannot decide on my own what's will be included.
But as food for thought I would suggest we focus on regularly used features  and leave out the edge cases:

[Subsystems]
- JCA
- Datasources
- JMS Queues
- Logging
- Web
- WebServices
- [...]

[Common]
- i18n
- Red Hat Look & Feel

IMO, we should aim for the feature that are expected to be frequently used and do them well.
Edge cases will still be covered  through the xml files or the CLI.

Again, this is a call for participation. Let us know what you think would be the most frequent use cases.
We already cover deployments, server-group and server instance management. What else?

Ike