[jboss-as7-dev] [AS7-367] exposing deployment details via the mgmt api

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu May 5 09:01:17 EDT 2011

Part of what needs to come out of this discussion is how to organize the
information; i.e. don't just assume a simple single "type" deployment;
think about ears, wars that package ejbs etc.

Re: overriding descriptors, we've previously supported that in places
via JMX; i.e. some of our mbeans expose attributes that have the effect
of overriding some value that came from a deployment descriptor. We can
still do that; IMO we should. The management metadata exposes whether an
attribute is stored to CONFIGURATION or RUNTIME, so the effect is visible.

The resources that expose those kinds of attributes don't have to map
1:1 to some deployment descriptor though. For example if we had an
attribute that lets the user change the session timeout for a webapp it
doesn't have to be in a resource that models web.xml. It can be in a
resource that models the session manager, a la the mbean we've always had.

I don't want to worry about persisting deployment descriptor overrides
back to domain/standalone.xml at this point; i.e. any attributes that
override deployment settings should be Storage.RUNTIME.