[jboss-as7-dev] osgi subsystem management use cases

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Thu May 12 02:50:29 EDT 2011

The Felix webconsole has a dependency on the HttpService
<http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v42/org/osgi/service/http/HttpService.html>,
which is currently provided by pax-web with Jetty as its Servlet
container. Other OSGi webapps are also deployed on Jetty. So we
currently have two servlet containers available in AS7. The
consolidation of which is subject of https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-351

Whether OSGi management is reimplemented using GWT or we somehow
delegate and embed the Felix console is probably a matter of how large
the intersecting subset of functionality actually is. My initial thought
is that we should favour a common L&F over an extensive set of OSGi
management functionality.

An initial set could include

* bundle install/start/stop/uninstall
* bundle configuration

No update, no refresh, no service stats, no licenses, no framework mngmt

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-752

cheers
-thomas

On 05/10/2011 06:17 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:
> Since OSGI is a beast on it's own, and does actually ship with custom management UI
> I would like to postpone the integration with the JBoss7 management console to some release beyond 7.0.Final.
>

> I would suggest we take the time to properly implement a replacement for the current (Felix?) console.
>

> Please let me know if that works for you.
>

> Ike

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Diesler
JBoss OSGi Lead