[jboss-as7-dev] Need stack trace or more context in model failures

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Tue May 24 13:15:41 EDT 2011

I'm seeing just this one line erorr msg after making a change to the
standalone.xml in both the console and server.log:
12:44:31,346 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server] Boot update failed:
"java.lang.IllegalArgumentException"

Putting this in the debugger to see where this is coming from, it has
something to do with the web subystem as the failure is dispatched from:

    * doExecute():219, ServerControllerImpl {org.jboss.as.server}

with an address of:
[
     ("subsystem" => "web"),
     ("virtual-server" => "localhost")
]

Apparently it is not liking this change I made to the web subsystem:

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:web:1.0">
<connector name="http" protocol="HTTP/1.1" socket-binding="http"
scheme="http"/>
<virtual-server name="localhost" enable-welcome-root="false" />
</subsystem>

from the default of:
<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:web:1.0">
<connector name="http" protocol="HTTP/1.1" socket-binding="http"
scheme="http"/>
<virtual-server name="localhost" enable-welcome-root="true">
<alias name="example.com" />
</virtual-server>
</subsystem>

I'm guessing it is because the alias is required, but that should not be
true and is not indicated by the schema.
I'll look into that, but we need more context to know what is failing.