[jboss-as7-dev] JBoss AS 7 in Fedora

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed May 25 01:23:59 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 08:51 +0200, Marek Goldmann wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Just a heads-up: I'm starting the effort to make JBoss AS 7 available
> in Fedora. Most probably I'll have questions and maybe also some
> help/code requests for you - don't be surprised! :)
>
> Thanks, TTYL!
>
> P.S. If anyone is interested in helping me - make sure you let me
> know. Any hand will be appreciated!

Awesome!

I explained to Marek on IRC a little experiment I did recently.

If you look at the dependency tree that Marek generated:

  https://gist.github.com/988216

It's an incredibly daunting task. The fact that all of those
dependencies need to be packaged before you have a jboss-as package to
play with will make it very difficult to attract people to the project
to help out.

How about if we could package a minimal AS7 - just the core and web
module? If the dependency list was much smaller, we could get to a very
basic jboss-as package much more quickly and encourage folks to try it
out.

Here was my attempt at a minimal build:

  https://github.com/markmc/jboss-as/commits/minimal-beta3

and the resulting dependencies:

  https://gist.github.com/988985

It's quite an effort to do this and is very brittle. I'm sure those
patches wouldn't apply any more.

Is there any chance that the build could be made modular (as well as the
runtime being modular)?

e.g. if the JBoss modules were moved from the build/ directory into the
the maven modules where the modules are defined, then all you would need
to do to disable a module is remove it from the root POM.

Disabling the jaxrs module is a good example:

  https://github.com/markmc/jboss-as/commit/b58aed5d9611193171611229921684d0951cf2dc

Cheers,
Mark.