[jboss-as7-dev] Don't pull from master!

Benjamin Browning bbrowning at redhat.com
Thu May 26 10:34:38 EDT 2011

Sure - what happens when you reset --hard and push -f is you effectively erase history on the master branch. So, any person or thing (CI, Fisheye) that pulled the commit before you pushed the reset now has a commit in their local workspace that no longer exists upstream. Because AS7 is a prominent open-source project, it's very likely that people and systems have checked out your sources that don't subscribe to this list and thus haven't seen the warning to correct things.

In this case the effects are hopefully minimal but it's still good practice to never erase history from a shared repo. Instead, use something like 'git revert' to push a new commit undoing the changes of the bad merge.

Ben