[jboss-as7-dev] [hibernate-dev] Which JBoss Logging version to use in AS and Hibernate Core

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 18:33:23 EST 2011

On 11/07/2011 02:45 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Wouldn't it be easier to have us build with Logger 3.0.x ?

Yes, however it would also fail because as it turns out, 3.0.x doesn't
contain the annotations and classes required by the current CR of the
logging processor.  The annotations shouldn't be a problem but that
missing base class is going to be an issue.  Unfortunately I just wasn't
thinking about compatibility with 7.0 when I made that call.

> I don't think the shade approach is the way to go; it wouldn't work in
> AS 7.1, which is our final goal.

Yeah, it would actually.  It would just put a copy of that base class in
your JAR somewhere, and then your generated classes would extend that
class instead of the one which is missing in 3.0, thus your program
would function normally.

However as I said it's a pretty crappy solution because I guarantee at
least an hour or two of POM fiddling to get it right anyway.  That's per
project.

> What about including the missing class only as a provided dependency,
> to be used with older AS versions? Assuming that would work with the
> older Logger implementation; also this might be quite messy for the
> users.

There might be a split package problem if we did, unless we were to move
it to another package (hence the shading idea).  And yeah that's pretty
ugly for users too.

> Regarding the idea of inlining the class.. not sure how that would
> look like. Ideally the goal would be to have Hibernate 4 work properly
> on both AS 7.0 and 7.1, and possibly on future versions too; if that
> solves the issue then why not.

It would solve that.  It's just a bit of a coding challenge on this end.
  And I don't like the resultant *large* classes, but I guess at this
point that's something we'll just have to live with.  I think this is
going to be the only viable solution.

> Let me know if there is any experimental branch that I could try out.

Will do.  Hopefully I'll get a bit of quiet after I "passivate" my kids
to "stable storage" and I'll have some sort of solution by morning.

--
- DML